Saturday, August 22, 2009

PC crash = F*CK YOU, GATEWAY!


I made a promise to myself to take a story that's been kicking around in my head for the past few years, and turn it into a novel. THIS YEAR. Well, my PC crashed on me a few weeks back, taking everything saved within to that great big matrix in the sky.

Months and months of work, consisting of the vast bulk of my free time, gone just like that.

My first impulse (after I stopped cursing) was to just trash the whole project. I do NOT relish the idea of trying to replicate everything, especially considering how long I sweated over the most trivial turn of phrase. I figured it would be impossible to recapture the little glimmers of awesome that made the prose worth reading.

My second instinct was to just condense the thing into a short story, or novella. After all, some of my notes were backed up on external drives, so the framework of the story still exists.

My friend Jen suggested biting the bullet, and trying to reconstruct what was lost. After all, as she correctly pointed out, re-drafts are often much better than the original.

Right now, I'm on the fence. I WILL complete the project in some form, and I will do so before the year is out. The question is, will it be full-length, or shortened?

I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment